EDUCATION AND OUTREACH MANAGER
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Education Program Manager is responsible for developing and implementing educational strategies, programs, curriculums and special events that raise awareness of migratory bird and habitat issues in the Gulf of Mexico region, lead our marketing and outreach projects, and head up our volunteer program.
I. Serve as the public education coordinator for the GCBO.
• Responsible for designing and leading GCBO’s environmental education programs
• Teaching environmental topics to school groups, visiting organizations,
volunteers, and the general public
• Providing effective oral and written presentations on and off property
• Providing high-quality education experiences for Sanctuary visitors
• Help develop and manage special events such as Spring Fling, Kid’s Summer Bird
Camp and XHX
• Perform various other tasks as assigned
II. Serve as the marketing and outreach coordinator for GCBO
• Develop and disseminate marketing programs for the GCBO via various platforms
• Handle electronic media such as Facebook, etc.
• Write and send out press releases
• Assist with updating website (WordPress)
• Publish our monthly eNews (Constant Contact), and Bird of the Month
• Coordinate and write for our weekly Nature Notes
• Help organize and write for our bi-annual Gulf Crossing newsletter
• Help organize special events
III. Serve as the volunteer coordinator for GCBO
• Rebuild and implement an improved volunteer system
• Coordinate our volunteer events and efforts
• Recruitment and training of volunteers
• Record volunteer hours
• Experience in wildlife/bird, birding, conservation, and education program
• Skill in writing and verbal presentations
• Skill with personal computers, including PowerPoint
• Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to communicate clearly on the phone
• Ability to coordinate with co-workers, media representatives, agency
personnel, corporate representatives and community leaders
• Ability to exercise initiative and work both independently as well as a team
• Administrative and marketing skills
• Experience with WordPress websites, and Constant Contact eblasts a plus
• Bachelors or Masters degree in environmental education or a natural history discipline is preferred
• Bilingual with Spanish skills preferred but not required
• Experience with marketing and/or fundraising preferred
• Can-do attitude is a must
• Love of birds is a must, birder preferred
• Valid driver’s license required
• Background check required
Applications due: January 31, 2019
Position will be housed at the GCBO headquarters, Lake Jackson, Texas.
This is a full time, permanent position.
Salary and benefits will be based upon qualifications, but listed as $35,000 annually. Health insurance is offered (75%-25%)
Send resume, cover letter, and 3 work references to:
Martin Hagne, Gulf Coast Bird Observatory, 299 Hwy 332 West, Lake Jackson, Texas 77566 or via email to mhagne @ gcbo.org.