Virtual Bird Bash 2020 is an online event that will connect people all over the world to Gulf Coast Bird Observatory. Attendees will get to know GCBO by meeting our staff, volunteers, and even our local birds! Watch as we band birds, tour the property, and interview our world-class bird experts. Show your support for our conservation work by making a donation, buying our merchandise, bidding in our auction, or even becoming a sponsor! All proceeds go to GCBO and our conservation efforts.
Watch our educational videos
Watch our bird banding live stream
Saturday, July 18
8:00 AM- 10:00 PM Bird Banding and Adoption
Watch on Facebook Live to see our monthly bird banding session. Interact with our banders, volunteers and staff live as they answer your questions and tell you about the birds we catch. Each bird will be available for symbolic adoption on our website here. Learn more here.
8:00 AM Online Auction opens
We have a ton of amazing items that have been donated for our silent auction. Bid on your favorites, but be quick! Sponsor a Wilson's Plover, Loggerhead Shrike, and more! All proceeds go to GCBO and our conservation efforts. View he auction items here.
12:00-3:00 PM Learn Together! Educational Videos
We have been hard at work creating fun and educational videos for bird lovers to enjoy! We will be posting these videos on our Facebook, and sharing them from our YouTube. Our staff will be ready to answer your comments and questions! Tune in here.
Sunday, July 19
11:00 AM- 1:00 PM Ornithology Live Stream
This Facebook Live stream will feature interviews with our Director, Biologist and special guests. We will be able to read your comments and answer your questions live! Special guests include:
- Greg Miller, Birder that inspired The Big Year book and movie
- Roy Rodriguez, birder and guide at Bentsen State Park
- Ron Weeks, author of "A Birder's Guide to the Texas Coast"
- Dudley Edmondson, author, public speaker, photographer specializing in nature and the outdoors.
- Ashli Gorbet, Banding Projects Manager at Black Swamp Bird Observatory
- Cin-Ty Lee, Rice University Professor and Biological Illustrator
- Bay Abdullah, Biology Teacher and GCBO Volunteer
- Kyle O'Haver, Galveston Island State Park Superintendent
- Nancy McAllister, Biologist at he North American Bird Banding Laboratory
- Sumita Prasad, Environmental Consultant
- Romey Swanson, Director of Conservation Strategy at Audubon TX
1:00 PM- 3:00 PM Shirt-A-Thon
We bought too many shirts! Time to decrease our inventory. This is your window to buy our online store merchandise at discount prices and support GCBO! We will also be releasing limited-time-only shirts with gorgeous new designs. View all items here.
3:00 PM Auction Closes
4:00 PM Closing Sentiments
Thanks to everyone who supported us this weekend and throughout the year! Auction winners will be announced when the auction closes. Thank you to all of our amazing volunteers and hard working staff!